Friday, June 8, 2012

Whole Brain Teaching Rules

Do you want a better way to run your classroom?  I have been researching Whole Brain Teaching (WBT).  I have found that it is very inspiring way to teach because the students are actively involved in their learning.  I have started learning about WBT through the website and by watching some of the video clips.  I just loving learning more ways to improve my teaching and help me become the best teacher I can be.  Don’t you?

This video is about the rules WBT has in the classroom.  These rules are for any grade kindergarten through high school.  There are 5 different rules.  Watch the video so he can show them to you.


1.  Follow directions quickly.
2.  Raise your hand and ask for permission to speak.
3.  Raise your hand for permission to leave your seat.
4.  Make smart choices.
5.  Keep your dear teacher happy.

Mr. Biffle discusses that the rules need to be repeat numerous times throughout the day so the students really get to understand them.  He says that there are different ways to practice the rules.  A teacher can say the rule and the students repeat it.  Different kinds of voices can be used when saying the rules.  A students can lead the class by saying the rules all together.

WBT uses gestures frequently.  Did you notice in the video he has a gesture to go with each rule? This is helpful because it makes it easier for the students to remember the rule.  I also makes learning the rules fun.  I know I loved being able to move around as a kid and by adding these gestures to the rules the students enjoy learning them.

I decided to make some rule posters that would match the theme of my classroom for next year.  Go to my TPT shop to check them out.





26 comments:

  1. Hey! Came across your site on TBTS. I am your newest follower.

    Heather
    Teaching Through Turbulence

    ReplyDelete
  2. April, I'm planning to learn more about WBT this summer too. I want to incorporate more active learning because I feel like my current teaching style is not a good fit for my active little boys and that leads to staying on task problems. I'm reading Daily 5 right now. I love the rules, especially the Dear Teacher one, but my school uses a 3 rule system that is schoolwide. I may have to use the Dear Teacher one as an afterthought! Your theme is so cute! Our K5 is all zebra! Ziggy the Zebra rules in our class.

    Donna
    darryl40w@att.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the comment. I too love the Dear Teacher rule. It is perfect.

      April
      Wolfelicious

      Delete
  3. Love your site, love your store! Rock on!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use some components of WBT too! Class, Yes! is one of our favorites...and so effective!

    Primary Inspired

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know that Class, Yes! is helpful. Thanks for the comment.

      April
      Wolfelicious

      Delete
  5. WBT has some awesome components and I'm always amazed how well the strategies work! Love rule #5! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too love rule #5. Good to know it works.

      April

      Delete
  6. Super cute posters! I love that the rules are simple and clear with WBT. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! I too like that they are simple and clear!

      April

      Delete
  7. I love your WBT signs, they match my safari theme very well! :)

    Casey
    Second Grade Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love WBT!! Use it completely in my kindergarten class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know that you use it with your kinders.

      April

      Delete
  9. I love whole brain teaching and know that my day goes best with my kindergarteners when I use it consistently.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by! I love the safari look.... I am changing my theme to that next. I also love WBT and plan on implementing that this year.
    Heather
    A New Teacher's Journey

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found your blog! I love whole brain teaching. The five rules make classroom management so much easier. I especially love rule 5: keep your dear teacher happy!!

    Greg
    Www.kindergartensmorgasboard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been trying out Whole Brain Teaching in my classroom this year. My favorite thing was when class/yes worked wonderfully on a very noisy field trip where the kids would have been easily distracted. I said "class" without even thinking. When they all responded with yes and were ready to listen, it was like a little miracle. I've never had a class be that attentive in such chaotic circumstances! I'm looking forward to trying more WBT ideas out next year. I'm an "old dog" (I've taught first grade for 18 years) and I'm enjoying learning some new tricks.

    Joell
    Totally Terrific Teaching (Hoping my second ever attempt at coding a link to my blog works!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool that your class responded like that during a field trip. WBT must be good!! I was able to click you link and it took me to your blog. Good job!!

      APril
      Wolfelicious

      Delete
  13. I am so excited to find your version of the WBT signs!!! I can wait to download them...thank you they will be a great addition to my safari theme:) I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete