Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Raise Hand for Permission to Speak



What do you do when your students are not following your rules?  Do you yell at them?  Do you cry?  What is it you do?  Well, watch this video to see how Mr. Biffle gets students to follow rule number 2 (raise your hand to ask for permission to speak).




 I know my kindergarten students have a lot of trouble remembering to raise their hand before they speak.  This is something we work on throughout the whole year.  

Mr. Biffle suggests that after everyone knows the rules but they aren't following them, then you pick a student.  This student will need to be one that will play along with you.  You tell the student that once I start talking that they are going to interrupt.  Start talking and allow the student to interrupt you.  Praise them for following the directions.  Then say that in the future when I am talking or someone else is talking and rule number two is being broken, I am going to say rule 2.  The students are to then respond saying rule 2 and saying the rule.  If this happens the students will be rewarded on the scoreboard.

I love the idea of having the students repeat the directions when someone is not following them.  Hopefully this will help the student who isn't following the direction follow them, plus it reminds all the students what is expected from them.

After seeing how Mr. Biffle would handle the students not following the rules, I found Whole Brain Teaching to be like the Daily 5.  I think they are similar because modeling inappropriate and appropriate behavior is the skill to both of them.  Since I have used the Daily 5 before I have seen how much modeling has helped the students.  I look forward to trying this with the rules this year.

Model, Model, Model is the key!



Kindergarten, 2nd - Reading, Education - TeachersPayTeachers.com
 


11 comments:

  1. I agree... modeling is everything!! I have found often times the student doesn't even really understand what is wrong with their behavior until they see someone else do it. Thanks for sharing the video!

    Katie
    Dirty Hands and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping to look up more about Whole Brain Teaching this summer, too!

    Thanks for checking out my blog. I'm following you now, too! :)

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used the rules this year with my extremely challenging class. It worked well. I could be in the hall and say "Rule #2" and the whole class would recite it!

    Thank you for becoming a new follower of mine!
    Little Priorities

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to know WBT worked for you. It makes me want to get learning about it.

      APril
      Wolfelicious

      Delete
  4. Don't you just love Whole Brain Teaching? I think it's wonderful!
    Erica

    Sprinkles to Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your posts on WBT have really helped me. I know I can go to your blog and have all the information in one place!
    Dana
    Fun in 1st Grade

    ReplyDelete