Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Distressed Buffet Table Tutorial

I am linking up with Third Grade is a Hoot for her Pintervention Party.
 
My summer break has begun!  Woohoo!!  Boy oh boy do I have so many things I want to do.  One thing I wanted to try was to distress one of my tables.  I have seen this style of tables all over the internet and blogs.  It seems like the latest style.  I have seen some that are really distressed while others are barely distressed at all.  I loved this look and I wanted to try it.  I was wanting a change in my dinning room so I thought, I should distress something. So...

I decided to give it a try!  

Crossing my fingers that I wouldn't ruin my furniture,  I decided to distress my buffet table.  Here is how it turned out.
All finished refurbished buffet table with decor.
Well, what do you think?  I LOVE it!!  I think it turned out so well.  I am ready to do another piece.  Any takers?  (hehe)

This is how I made it.

What you need:
*Sand paper/sanding block - the 180 kind and 60 kind.
*Kilz Original Oil Based Primer
*Sponge Roller
*Paint of your choice- a semi gloss or satin works the best.
*Wood stain marker pen
*Minwax Paste Finishing Wax
*Cheese Cloth
*Drop Cloth



Before
First you need to take off all the hardware.  Then you are going to sand the table.  You can do this by hand or a power hand sander.  I actually went to The Home Depot and bought a power hand sander because it was taking forever just doing it by my hand.
Sanded table

Next you need to prime the piece of furniture.  I used a sponge roller so I didn't get brush stroke marks.
Table painted with primer.
Allow the primer to dry. Then sand with a fine grit sand paper.  Wipe the dust off really well.  

Next paint with an latex interior satin or semi-gloss paint.  I had Lowes mix a black paint for me in satin.  I painted the furniture using a sponge roller to avoid stroke marks.  Once the piece dried I sanded it with a fine grit sand paper.
Sanded black paint.  Sorry Liam wanted to get in this picture. As you can tell he dressed himself for the day.
 Next, I dusted off the piece really well and applied another coat of paint.
2 coats of black paint.

You may need to apply another coat of paint.  I actually didn't think my piece needed another coat so I moved on to the next step.  If yours does need another coat you would need to sand it again.  Wipe it clean.

Next using a fine grit sand paper you are going to distress the piece.  Only sanding on the edges until the wood grain shows through.  You want to make sure you sand through the primer. (see pictures at the bottom to see how I sanded mine)

Now you are going to use a stain marker to stain the wood on the edges that is showing through.  Wipe the extra stain off with a clean cloth. (I actually just used a paper towel)  

Using marker to go over bare wood.

Wiping marker.

Next use a cheese cloth to apply the wax.  Fold the cloth and put the wax inside so it is inside 2 layers of the cloth.  This helps for an even coat.  Let the piece sit there for 15-20 minutes.
Minwax Paste Finishing Wax
Waxing table
Once the time is up, buff using a clean cheese cloth until a shiny black finish appears.  Wait one day and repeat this process.

Then guess what?!!  You have made a distressed piece of furniture.  Congratulations.

Here is my finished table.
Side view of finished table


Side view of finished table
It's okay, keep looking.  Pick your jaw up off the floor.  I know, I know. it is gorgeous.  :)

Ta-da!!
Front view of table

And with my new decor on it.
All finished refurbished buffet table with decor.





Kindergarten, 2nd - Reading, Education - TeachersPayTeachers.com

 



30 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks great! I don't think I have the patience to go through all the steps, but it sure does pay off. Nice work=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! There are a lot of steps, but it is worth it. :)

      April
      Wolfelicious

      Delete
  2. So pretty! :0)

    ~Kristine
    www.oursmartcommunity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are quite the crafter!! First those amazing baskets yesterday & now this awesome distresed table...I love it! :)

    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recently I have been quite the crafter or at least I am trying. :-0)

      April

      Delete
  4. THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!! I want one---but sooo not crafty!!

    ღDeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm, LOVE! I'm actually getting ready to hit a used furniture store now-I may need to try this out!

    Laura
    Will Grade For Coffee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I don't think I have the patience for a project like that!!


    Mrs. Wheeler’s First Grade

    Mrs. Wheeler TpT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! I heart re-fabbed furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome! I love it. Can you come do mine?
    Miss Nelson's blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks fantastic!! Great job!

    Aloha,
    Corinna
    Surfin' Through Second

    ReplyDelete
  10. That table looks amazing!!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. (Picks jaw up off the floor...) Wow! This is so AMAZING! It turned out fantastic! That is so cool that you were able to create something so neat... :) Can't wait to see what else you do!

    ~Sara~
    Ramblings of a Deaf Ed Teacher's Mind...

    ReplyDelete
  12. That turned out great!! I love it!! I'm dying to paint and distress my kitchen cabinets, but I don't have the nerve!

    P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    Jackie

    Third Grade's A Charm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I was nervous to do it, but I just took a leap and did it. I thought it is just paint, if it isn't good I will repaint it.

      April

      Delete
  13. Hello there! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be ok. I'm absolutely enjoying your blog and look forward to new
    posts.

    my web site :: eng

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is spectacular and I love that you are creative in all aspects of your life!
    Fran

    ReplyDelete