Thursday, June 28, 2012

SuperSpeed 100

I feel teaching sight words to students is a very important part of reading.  The faster they can read the sight words, the better their fluency is.  I found this game through Whole Brain Teaching that I want to incorporate in my class next year.  It's called SuperSpeed 100.  
Photo of SuperSpeed 100
  Superspeed 100 is a fun game for beginning students from kindergarten through 3rd grade to learn 100 sight words fluently.  The more rapidly students can read words, the greater their reading fluency and understanding of stories.  This game is not meant to replace the reading system at your school.  It is meant to be supplementary with the things you already use when teaching reading.  Students who play SuperSpeed 100 do not have to have any letter or sound knowledge.  Can you believe that?  The game teaches reading by recognizing word shapes.

If you can find a few minutes several times a week to play this game with your class, Mr. Biffle says substantial improvements in reading speed will be shown.  He says that gains of 20%-40% within in a month are not uncommon.  Who doesn't want that for their class?

The words are arranged in order of frequency.  It contains 100 levels.  One new word is added in each level and the previously learned words are repeated.  At every 10th level, there is a Challenge.  The Challenge contains all the words from previous levels.  If a student can't read all the Challenge words accurately, they should not advance.  The idea is for the students to master the words.  Once a student is at level 100 they need to read all the words within 60 seconds to move on to SuperSpeed 1000.

Are you ready to find out how to play? 
When playing this great game the first thing you have to do is decide on what word you want your students to begin with.  Once you decide, then you can start having your class play this game.  Arrange your class in groups of twos.  You want to group a stronger student with a weaker student.

When you tell the class to begin one person reads the first word, then the other person on the team reads the next word and so on.  If the partner doesn't know a word, help is allowed.  Keep taking turns until the teacher says stop after a minute.  Then mark the team's record on the page and the give the class another try for a minute.  Start over with the first word you read, but whoever started goes second. The goal is to try to beat the previous record.

When the game is replayed, the team starts at the beginning of whatever level they ended in.  When players break their own records, they place a checkmark inside their personal record star.  Students love recording their personal records.

This game is so great because Mr. Biffle says the students love it.  They are not competing against others but with themselves.

I can't wait to try this game with my class this year.  I am always looking for fun ways to teach sight words.  I know students love racing so I am guessing that this game will be a big hit.  On the Whole Brain Teaching website you can find the pages you will need for this game.  I hope you try it and let me know what you think.  I will be trying it too. 



Kindergarten, 2nd - Reading, Education - TeachersPayTeachers.com
 



27 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! Totally going to look into more!

    A Pirates Life for Us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great game! Sight words are tough to teach sometimes!
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Thanks for stopping by! I cannot remember where I grabbed the clip art for the clip chart...but they're all over the internet and FREE no less. Maybe search them on Pinterest - lots of teachers have the downloads. I just laminated the words, hole punched, and bound with metal book rings! Easy Peasy! Hope that helps! :)
    Erin
    Eberhart’s Explorers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of this game, but we have done something similar in our classroom. During transitions or any extra time we may have, I pull out the sight word cards, line the students up into 2 groups and we read with speed. Like your game, assistance is allowed as needed. We also play a game called "last man standing," where we are lined up in a row. One student at a time has a word to read with speed. If they get the word they stay standing, if not they sit and continue learning the words from their peers. The object is to be the last one standing of course. Kids are SO motivated by one another & it is amazing to see how much they learn from each other (and themselves) and get better over time with their words!! I am just glad that the game you have listed above is similar to mine & that research evidently backs it - yay!!

    ~ Kimberlee ~
    Two Fulbright Hugs
    Teacher TimeSavers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your games that you play too. :) I love getting new ways to helps students learn sight words.

      April
      Wolfelicious

      Delete
  5. I played this with my fluency intervention group and they loved it! The second graders loved trying to beat their records and it encouraged them to work together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of this! Now I have to look it up :)
    Blessings,

    Jessica Stanford
    Mrs. Stanford's Class
    I need your help! Come check out my last post ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, def. look it up. I think it would be great to use with your students.

      April
      Wolfelicious

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a blast to play in class!! I think my kids would love it. I'm adding it to my wishlist!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks interesting, I'll have to look into it more.
    I have an award for you on my blog- come over and check it out!
    Erin
    First with Franklin

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a fun game. Any game helping with sight words is a plus!!
    Robynn
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, thanks for commenting on my blog. I want to try the sight word game, I truly believe that it helps fluency. Thanks for sharing.

    Jill
    Bubbalulu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for the award. I am honored!!

    April
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is fabulous April! Love the speed and repetition. So crucial for reading fluency. Thanks for sharing your find :)
    ~Christy & Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, April! SuperSpeed 100 is invaluable for promoting fluency! You will love it, and so will your students! I also include it in the Universal Homework Model for daily practice at home.

    Nancy
    Mrs. Stoltenberg's Second Grade Class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy!! I can't wait to try it with my kiddos.

      APril
      Wolfelicious

      Delete
  14. OH MY GOSH! I can't wait to try this out!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete