Monday, June 4, 2012

place value song with a printable


ones, ten, hundreds

Hello!  My name is  Sandi, and I am your friendly guest blogger from rubber boots and elf shoes. This is my first guest blog, and I am excited and nervous.  It’s kind of like the first day of school!
I asked my kidlets at school what I should blog about.  They decided that it should be math and it should be a song. And that I should have to take pictures of them!
Every day during our calendar time, we sing a song about place value.  

Since we are kindergarten, we tend to learn by moving our bodies.  There are lots of good reasons for learning through moving - the kinesthetic learners, muscle memory. cross brain communication and activity, getting the blood moving through the body and the brain, and if the kids are moving to the actions of song, they are not poking each other.  
A former student teacher introduced me to this song a few years ago, and it’s part of our calendar routine.  It’s said as a rap/chant; no real tune - just find the rhythm.

Put your hands in the air



And look down your nose


We’re going to put the numbers in the place value rows.
The 1s are on the right
The 10s are next in line
Move one more to the left for the 100s every time





1s, 10s, 100s




Ones, tens, hundreds



1s, 10s, 100s

ya!

From this song, we have had discussions about thousands, ten thousands, hundred thousands and millions. Some of the mathemagicians really GET how it all works.  And then one kidlet said that he could count to ten hundrend kajillion, so we went back to numbers that we could wrap our brains around!

Click on the images to grab your copy of the place value song.







A huge thank you to April for allowing me to visit and guest blog.  It's been nice getting to know you.



6 comments:

  1. How cute!! Thanks for sharing, great guest blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I am going to use a lot of your ideas for my First Graders as they start school in the Fall. Great guest blog!


    ✰ Kimberley ✰
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great post!! Love the song!

    April

    ReplyDelete
  4. BRILLIANT! I can't wait to start school in the fall!!
    Jenny

    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE that song! I can't wait to use it with my students during calendar time!! :)
    Thanks for sharing!

    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great song! I love the term "mathemagicians"!

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete