Monday, January 23, 2012

Fun way to teach Shapes

Shapes

My class is learning about shapes during math class.  Today for math I decided to have some fun with learning about shapes.  After we did our math worksheet, I put all the boys together and all the girls together on a team.  I put both teams in a spot around the room.  I told them I was going to say a shape and they would have to make that shape out of their bodies.  The other day I introduced a trapezoid and a hexagon by having students lay down on the carpet making the shape.  So today the students had the background of how I put the students in different spots to make some of the shapes.  I explained to the groups that they had to work together to create the shape.  The shape may involve everyone or it doesn't have to.  My boys were really good at this!  They were able to make the shapes very quickly.  In order for the students to make the shapes they have to know how many sides and vertices each shape has.  Here are some pictures of our shapes.  They did so great!

Triangle

Circle

Circle

Triangle

Hexagon

Trapezoid
 

No comments:

Post a Comment