Saturday, January 21, 2012

100th Day of School Activities

100th Day Activities

This past week my class celebrated the 100th Day of School.  Here are some of the activities that filled our fun filled day!



Our classroom door!
I decorated our classroom door so the students would walk into the room excited about the 100th day of school.

Bead necklace 
Bead Necklace

Bead Necklace

I gave each student a long line of yarn.  One end I taped to the student's desk and on the other end I wrapped tape around it so the students could easily string the beads on.  Then I passed out a plate to each student.  I have three tables with six students at each.  I put a bag of beads at each table.  The students counted ten beads and placed them on their plate.  Then they put them on the yarn.  When I saw a table was finished putting the beads on the yarn, I switched the beads at each table.  We continued this until the students had ten sets of ten.  Once they were finished I tied the yarn and they put on their 100 bead necklace.  The kiddos LOVED these.





Before the 100th Day, get 100 chocolate kisses and number them 1-100.  Hid them throughout the classroom before the students come in.  Throughout the day, the students searched the classroom for chocolate kisses.  When they would find one, they would look at the number written on the bottom of it and place it on the same number on the 100 chart.  I quickly learned that I needed to set up rules for doing this because my students were running around the room in excitement grabbing handfuls of kisses.  I quickly laid down the law with telling the students they could only search for kisses in between the activities we were doing or after they finished their activity.  I also told them they could only have one kiss at a time.  This helps SO much!  All the students were very excited to do this and they couldn't wait to collect them all so they could eat some. 

100's Chart
Students filled out a 100 chart.

Students stayed silent for 100 seconds. 

Students counted to 100 by 1's, 5's, and 10's.

Students did 100 exercises.

Students drew themselves today and then drew what they would look like in 100 years. 

100th Day Hat

100th Day Hat
We made Happy 100th Day Hats!  Before the 100th day, I had my assistant cut and staple ten stripes of construction paper to a sentence strip.  Then on the 100th Day, the students used different things to make one hundred on their hat.  This year I did,
10 dots of blue paint
10 dots of white paint
10 dots of purple paint
10 foam big circles
10 stickers
10 foam small circles
10 stickers
10 butterfly hole punches
10 cloud hole punches
10 flower hole punches

We started the dots with the paint in the morning and then ended up finishing up the hats in the afternoon.  Once the hats had all the ten pieces of paper covered with ten things, I measured each child's head with the sentence strip and stapled it together.  The construction paper flapped over and made the hats looks wild.  These hats are so much FUN!
Happy 100th Day!- Label for hat 

Counting by 10's caterpillar.
 I passed out two sheets of paper with circles.  The students colored these circles however they chose to.  Then they cut them out and glued them in order counting by 10's.  


Zero and Zerona the Hero

The students enjoying Zero and Zerona the Hero.
 Every ten days Zero the Hero or Zerona the Hero showed up in our classroom.  They got the students excited about being another ten days smarter.  Who ever showed up would say a poem to the class and they would count by tens with the students help.  (some years I have them bring a zero snack, but recently I always forget so they just show up).  On the 100th Day, both the Hero's show up since there are two zeros in 100.  Again a poem is read.  I also have a pink cape (Zerona the Hero) and a red cape (Zero the Hero) that I choose a student to wear on the tenth day.  On the 100th Day I have two students wear the cape. 


100th Day Snack Mix
 For our snack on the 100th Day, I set ten snacks around a table.  I call each student up to the table and give them a zip lock baggie.  The students count 10 of each item for their snack.
Dollar
 Students get a big piece of green construction paper.  I passed out four number ones to each student to cut out.  The students glued the ones to each corner of the green paper.  Then I passed out a picture of George Washington for the students to cut and glue to their green paper.  Next I pass out pennies to the students.  They have to put 100 pennies on the their dollar.


100 designs
I gave each student a blank piece of paper and a one and two zeros cut out in black paper.  I told the students to create a picture with the numbers.  It could be anything they wanted to make it.  Then they glued the numbers on and created their creation.  

Our 100th Day went by SOOOOO fast!  

I'm 100 years old for the 100th day!
Every year I usually wear my 100th Days Smarter shirt from Really Good Stuff, however this year was different.  I wanted to be different.  I decided to dress like I was 100 years old.  It was so much fun!  I loved seeing everyone's reaction to me.  Most people didn't know who I was, which I guess is a good thing, right?  My kiddos thought it was so funny that I was dressed up.  They were really concerned about my hair not going back to normal.  Every time I would talk like a grammy, they just thought it was the funniest thing.  I am so glad the students enjoyed it.  I am hoping this day will be a day that the students remember.

100th Day Contract- Students receive this contract to complete for homework on the 100th Day.

Thanks for reading my blog post about our 100th Day of School.  I hope your got a new idea you can use with your class.


2 comments:

  1. Where did you get your large hundreds boards??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I got them at a teacher supply store. Sorry, I don't remember which one. I am sure you could find them online.

      Delete