Thursday, October 18, 2012

Oh Columbus


Boy, it has been very busy here at Wolfelicious!  The end of the first quarter came, parent conferences, Fire Safety and our Columbus activity.

This week at school we had a very busy fun week.  We had no school for students on Monday.  Tuesday we actually had a normal day.  Wednesday we had firefighters come talk to us about fire safety.  Today we made our ships and tomorrow we are having Continent Day. 
One of the things I have to teach about is Columbus.  Since we are a Core Knowledge school our curriculum has Columbus in it.  We have to have the students know who he is, what he wanted to do, where the ships came from, and that he called the people Indians since he thought he was in India.  I always use a Core Knowledge lesson plan to teach Columbus.  This year I used the CK lesson plan but then I also found a fabulous idea on a blog.  The Teacher Idea Factory had posted about an activity she does with her class.  After I read about it, I knew that I had to try it out!!  I LOVE the idea!  
I asked The Home Depot to donate some boxes to my class.  I was hoping to get washer/dryer boxes but unfortunately they didn't have any; however they did donate wardrobe boxes to our class.  (Thanks so much Home Depot).  I asked parents of the class to come in and help build a ship.  I laid out some craft materials and broke my class up by tables to work on their ship.  It was amazing to watch the ideas flowing of how to create a big ship.  I love how each ship turned out.  I hope it will be something the kiddos won't forget about doing.  I got to see them working together and thinking outside of the box. :)  Check out our ships: 
Photo of Pinta
Pinta side view

Photo of Pinta
Pinta front view

photo of Pinta
Pinta side view

Photo of Santa Maria
Santa Maria

Photo of Santa Maria
Santa Maria

Photo of Nina
The Nina

Photo of Nina
Nina
Didn't they do an excellent job?  Our classroom got messy and loud, but we got 3 amazing ships out of it.  Plus I bet the kiddos will remember who Columbus is and what his 3 ships were.

On another note, I bought my first outfit for my little Wolfe due in February.  I think it is so adorable.  It is so difficult to find cute boy clothes.
Photo of onesie

 Every Tuesday and Thursday night my son has Tee Ball.  It is so much fun watching him play.  I love watching to see how he interacts with others.

  Photo of Liam T Ball

Thanks for stopping by!


Kindergarten, 2nd - TeachersPayTeachers.com





3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on another boy! We have 3 boys. Little boys are so special!!
    I'm your newest follower.
    Christy
    Mrs. Christy’s Leaping Loopers

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been Boo-ed! Come by my blog to get the linky details:)

    Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

    ReplyDelete