Saturday, December 31, 2011

App Review 4

 App Review 4

Bob Books #1- Reading Magic
$3.99

This app has 4 different levels to choose from.  Level one- drag and drop letters to match.  Level two- learn left-to-right order.  Level three- spell without visual hints. And level four- pick letters to spell words.  A picture comes up in black and white with a sentence at the bottom.  The player can tap the picture or a word and it goes to another picture of just what the player tapped.  Then the player spells the word.  Once the word is spelled, it blends the word and then says the word.  The sentences get longer and longer the more the player plays.  If the player doesn't click anything the picture starts shaking so they know where to tap.  After all the words are complete in the sentence, the black and white picture becomes colored in and the app reads the sentence.  If I had to rate this app out of 5 stars, I would give it 4 stars.  I like the progression this app has.  It also makes the students super excited when they realize they are reading the words. The app is a bit pricey, but I do think it is worth it.

Montessori Approach to Vocabulary- Animal Lite
FREE

This app helps children learn animals.  The animal is first presented by their silhouette. When the camera button is touched a photograph of the animal appears.  If I had to rate this app out of 5 stars, I would give it 1 star.  I do think vocabulary is very important but there is nothing exciting about this app.  The good thing about this app is that it is free (although there is a version the costs money).  Don't waste your iPads memory with this. 


Silly Sentence
FREE
Recommended for ages 4-7.

This app has activities that introduce vowels and their letter combinations through flash cards, matching, sound and signs, and silly sentences.  This app builds reading skills and allows the player to decode words, phrases, and sentences.  If I had to rate this app out of 5 stars, I would give it 3 stars.  I like how many activities there in this app and the progression is good.  I wish it offered the whole app in the free version instead of just __a__e and __ai__ combination words.  I will install the whole version just to be able to get more combinations for words because I do think the app is good.


Picture Dot-to-Dot- Animals
$1.99

Trace the dot to dot in the proper sequence and a hidden picture will appear.  If the player doesn't go in order the line will not connect.  The dot to dot can be formed with letters or numbers.  If I had to rate this app out of 5 stars, I would give it 5 stars.  My students and my son LOVE this app.  I like the different settings the app offers.  I love seeing the beautiful animal pictures once the dot to dot is finished.  The student's face light up when they complete their dot to dot and see the animal it has created.  There are tons of animal pictures so the students are always guessing what animal the dot to dot could be before they finish it.


Montessori Crosswords
$2.99
Appropriate for 3 to 8 year olds.

This app has children use letters to make words.  It has 3 different levels.  Simple words with 3 sounds, words with consonant blends, and words of any complexity. When the child chooses the level a picture is shown to the child, then the child uses the letters at the bottom to pull up to spell the word.  Once the word is spelled the app says the letters, then the word.  There is an answer key for the children that are having trouble.  If they get the word correct, there is a celebration.  The app allows the font and a layout of the letters to be changed.   If I had to rate this app out of 5 stars, I would give it 5 stars.  This app is GREAT!!  I have been using it during center time to work on the letter sounds and spelling words.  It really helps students see how to put the sounds together to form words.  I like the different levels the app offers.  It makes it a great app for all learners.  This is definitely an app you want on your iPad for your class and/or child.


I hope this App Review is helpful to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment