Saturday, January 19, 2013

Science and the 100th Day!

What a busy week! I had to take a day off on Tuesday because my little boy was sick so I got behind for the week. I was hoping to catch up on Friday, but it was our 100th Day of School so instead of catching up I got further behind. I guess at least we had great learning and an exciting week! 

This week we conquered the Science Big Idea number 5- Earth in Space.  We will actually finish it next week too because I ran out of time.  We worked on a Science Reader that I bought from TPT on day and night.  It was great to use to teach the students what is in the sky during the day and night.  The students loved the book. We are also working on a Space Book but again, we didn't get that finished.

Photo of book of what is in the sky

Next we talked about how things may look different up close than far away, but they actually stay the same size.  To do this we went outside and did an experiment with two different balls.  In the picture below the students is holding a beach ball far away.  The students thought the ball was smaller.

photo of size of objects
Then we brought the ball back up to where we were sitting and measured the ball.  They thought the ball looked bigger.  Once we had the measurement, another students ran across the playground with the ball and then another student went to measure the ball.  The students found out that the ball was the exact same size.

photo of size of objects near and far

The students really enjoyed going outside and learning.  It was an exciting experiment that we did and the students learned that the ball is the same size no matter where it is.  

On Friday of this week I had a student give me this letter.  
photo of letter
Isn't it precious!!  I love the drawing and how she sounded out my name.  I guess our practice of writing and sounding out words is working.

Also on Friday we celebrated the 100th Day of School.  We had a very busy day.  I actually didn't fit in everything I wanted to for the 100th Day.

We made these awesome hats of 10 things on 10 strips.  They take a lot of time to make but they are so adorable and the kiddos LOVE them. 
Photo of 100th Day Hat Wolfelicious
Stamping for fingerprints.
Here is a picture of how all their hats turned out.

Photo of 100th Day
Aren't they adorable?!

Next we made a one dollar bill with 100 pennies on it.

Photo of 100th Day Dollar Wolfelicious

I can't believe that is all of the 100th day activities we got too. I will have to do the rest next week.  We also had a birthday on Friday.  I loved the birthday snack the little girl brought for it.

Popcorn and a drink.  So much better than the cupcakes!

photo of birthday snack wolfelicious

My week was super busy.  I caught two more weeks of lesson plans finished for my sub.  I am now up to my due date with plans.  I am hoping to do more next week.  We have training on Monday so hopefully the others days I will get some more plans ready.

How was your week? 

Did you notice I went back to my old layout.  I just love it!!



Kindergarten, 2nd - TeachersPayTeachers.com


3 comments:

  1. Hi April! I can't even imagine making sub plans for that long. I stayed until 6:00 on Friday just to have plans ready for Tuesday AM! I have to take my daughter back to the orthopedic doctor...

    Your activities looked great! Our 100th day is coming up on January 30th.

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi APril,
    I love the hats you made. We will be celebrating our 100th day in about a week. I love the 100th day. Great job getting your plans ready ahead of time. It will be here before you know it. :o)
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, hard to think the 100th day has already come for you. I'm going to have to ask our kindergarten teachers when ours is - I haven't kept track. Looks like you had a good day!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete