Thursday, June 20, 2013

Throwback Thursday

I'm linking up with Cara from The First Grade Parade for a fun weekly link: revisiting old blog posts. Check out the link here:


I decided to share my Character Pumpkin Book Reports that we did this year.  I bought this idea from TPT and I do want to complete it again next year!!  It was one of my kiddos favorite things to do for the year.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Character Pumpkin Book Reports

Every month I try to send home a Family Project for each of my students to complete.  For example, one month I send home a paper and have the students make a map of their bedroom when we are learning about maps.  A different month I send home a turkey and have them decorate the turkey as a family.  Usually during October I send a pumpkin home and have the families decorate the pumpkin.  Well, this year I found an awesome idea and I just had to try it.  It is creative and it helps the students review some of the standards they have been working on.  I found the idea I think on Pinterest and then I had to go to TPT and purchase it. Here is what I purchased; Trick or Treat Pumpkin Book Reports by Hope King.  I loved this idea.  I thought it would be so much fun and I thought my classroom families would enjoy it too.

I sent home the treat bag for the students to complete as their Family Project for October.  I thought it was perfect.  Learning and being creative at the same time!  The students had to draw their cover on the front of their treat bag.  Inside the bag the students filled out the candy pieces with title, setting, characters, beginning, middle, end, and their favorite part.  Once the due date came, the students shared their stories with the class.  My students were so excited to share their bags with their classmates.  They had so much pride with them.  It seemed liked they really enjoyed the activity and so did their parents.  After everyone shared, we discussed their characters.  Each student had to bring in a pumpkin.  They had to make their pumpkin into their character from the book they did their report on.  I had our Reading Buddies (who are 3rd graders) come to our room and help us with our characters.  The buddies worked out so well.  The students LOVED making their pumpkin into their character.  I can't believe how great they turned out!!  Check them out!

photo of wolfelicious character pumpkin

Photo of Pumpkins

Photo of pumpkins

photo of pumpkins

photo of pumpkins

photo of pumpkins

I am definitely going to do this activity again.  I am so amazed at how well the students did with their reports and their pumpkins.   



Kindergarten, 2nd - Reading, Education - TeachersPayTeachers.com






2 comments: