Wednesday, June 26, 2013

iWant Websites

I am linking up with Tales from Outside the Classroom for Website Wednesday.
  

I know I always like to use fun, engaging websites during center time in my classroom.  I always love finding out about new websites to use.  I have a couple that I use or plan to use next year.


The first one up is Starfall.  I am sure everyone already knows about this wonderful site.  My kindergarteners LOVE this site.  They always look forward to computer time.  What I love about Starfall is that there are games on the site that have to do with the seasons.  My kiddos always love to complete the snowman activity.  I think that is the closest they get to actually putting a real snowman together since we live in Florida. LOL. I feel that Starfall has so many activities that the kiddos never get sick of doing them.  If you haven't checked out Starfall, you need to.  Wait till after you finish this blog and then go. :) 



The next one I am considering for next year is ABCMouse.com.  I have heard the commercials and how they say how wonderful it is.  I have been very skeptical of it so I decided I would download the app for my son and try the 30 day trail.  I hate that you have to pay for it but I thought if it was so awesome like they say it is that it would be valuable for my son to do.  I downloaded it about 2 weeks ago.  So far I am impressed.  It has tons (I mean tons) of activities.  My son seems to be enjoying all the activities.  He actually just figured out that you can exchange your tickets and buy things for your room (the room on the app, not your actual room).  It is a great incentive for children to keep playing so they can add more to their room.   He is loving the activities.  There is a great variety so it keeps him interested.  The one thing I would like to see fixed is some of the activities don't work so well on the iPad.  I wrote them and they said they are working on it.  The only other downfall that I think there is, is that it has been difficult to figure out where to start my son.  I think they maybe need a pre-test so you know your child is being pushed and on the best level for them.  I have my son on level 5 right now.  I started him on an easier level but it was way too easy.  I think level 5 may be too easy too but he is only 6% through it so I hope it becomes harder for him.  Overall, I do think it is a great website.  Will I purchase it when the trial is up?  I am not for sure yet.  If my child stays interested like he has been in it, then yes I will.  I do think it is a good website overall.  I need to look into it further because I heard it is free for schools.  If I can get it for my classroom, I will definitely do that.  I will have to do more research on it. 

Next, I would like to show you a new app that I was asked to check out.  It is called Counting Together.
 This app teaches kids "subitizing" and addition.  Both concepts are part of the Common Core Standards!!!

This app has multiple levels and allows multiple players.  What??  Yes, multiple players can play at the same time.  Great for centers!!  Each student (up to 4) would have a side of the iPad.  The students race each other and the clock to count and match the number.  The number could go up to 10. (Free version)

Since it is summer break I couldn't try it out with my class, so instead I had my 4 year old son play with me.  He loved the graphics at the beginning of the app.  He got a little frustrated when each round got faster and faster, however he was doing great for never learning this concept before.  He was able to do the lower numbers very well.  I think the timer would just help him be able to get the concept faster the more we played the game.

I think this app would be an asset to a kindergarten or even first grade classroom.  This app is going to help the students know their addition facts fluently (Common Core).   I do think this concept is difficult so having a fun way to help teach it is wonderful!  I will definitely be using it next year.






Have you used any of these sites?  What do you think about them?  What is on your list for classroom websites?



Kindergarten, 2nd - Reading, Education - TeachersPayTeachers.com



2 comments:

  1. April,
    I was wondering about ABCmouse. My own kids want to do it, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Let me know what your final thoughts are when it is all over.

    We love starfall too...so good and that for the app.

    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I love starfall and am glad to hear someone's feedback on abcmouse.com. I hadn't heard anything about it yet!

    Tessa
    Tessa
    Tales from Outside the Classroom

    ReplyDelete