Thursday, July 19, 2012

Common Core and Such!

Wow!! It seems like forever since I have posted!  Last week I had training overwhelming instruction on curriculum.  We had a group of teachers attend the Common Core Training and they came back to us and shared what they had learned.  It was very interesting but having to change our curriculum maps made it very overwhelming.  I have been the team leader for the last six years and this year I am not, so it was difficult for me because our new team leader couldn't attend so I wasn't for sure how much she really wanted me to do.  I didn't want to step on her toes for make her feel like I was.  
http://www.kresa.org/cms/lib4/MI01000312/Centricity/Domain/42/common_core_state_standards.gif.png
Anyways, the training I thought made complete sense and why on earth haven't we been teaching this way?!!  We learned that with Common Core your lessons should be integrated.  You shouldn't have a Social Studies block and a Language Arts block.  You should combine everything.  I am super excited about this!!  This is how I was taught to teach.  I am pretty sure probably everyone learned to teach this way but using a basal is so much easier convenient, not necessarily better.  I am so excited because I can also go back to teaching Daily Five!  Wahoo!!

It is strange to me that 10 years ago when I first started teaching, (gosh, that makes me sound old) that I had to go to training for Literacy Collaborative.  I also remember going to meetings about making essential questions.  I am confused why 10 years ago we were doing this, but it just now came to Florida or the rest of the country?  Was Ohio ahead of the game?  

Common Core will be very interesting to apply this year.  I don't feel the standards in kindergarten really changed that much but the writing I saw in the Common Core training book, Oh my!!  They wrote a paragraph.  Yes, I said a paragraph.  My goal was for my students to write a sentence.  I see I will be working hard on the literacy and writing this year.  Also with Common Core 50% of your texts should be nonfiction.  I will be working on adding more nonfiction to my teaching.  This year will definitely be a year in progress with the change, but I do feel overall that it is a great change.  Let teachers escape their basal and bring meaning to teaching!!

The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child
I started The Book Whisperer last week!!  I LOVE this book!  She makes so many great points.  I would love for my son to be in her class.  She is all about giving the great gift of loving to read to all of her students.  I am very inspired!  If you haven't read it, you need to.

Well, I want to congratulate you for reading my post this far! :)

One last thing for today.  I have the reply link right under each of my comments.  I LOVE getting comments and I really try hard to write back.  I am now realizing that every single one that I have replied to, if the person who left the comment doesn't come back to that post they are not getting my reply!!!   What is the point of having the reply button on here if the person I am replying to isn't getting it?  Have you had this problem?  What is the solution?  I know people were talking about having an email assigned to your account so they could reply that way, but I guess I am confused on that too.  Help!!  I don't even remember how I put the reply on each comment.  

P.S.  I am working on a tutorial for the chairs. 


Wolfelicious Teacher Pay Teachers Shop, Kindergarten, 2nd - Reading, Education - TeachersPayTeachers.com
Wolfelicious Teachers Notebook Shop, Kindergarten through second
Wolfelicious Facebook Page Kreitzer29 Twitter Page April Kreitzer Wolfe Google +  Kreitzer Pinterest Board



9 comments:

  1. So far, I am loving common core. We implemented it last year and it was so nice integrating everything. I definitely agree that those basals are going to have to be a thing of the past! :)
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reply to comments by email now & am able to reply to most bloggers. If you go to this website, there is a great step by step tutorial on how to link up your blogger account so you can reply by email:
    http://www.dandee-designs.com/2012/02/avoiding-no-reply-comments-in-blogger.html
    Hope this helps!,
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Book Whisperer was my favorite read this summer. I loved everything she had to say.

    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankfully, I have never taught from a Basal, but it will be very difficult for some to break away from it, as you are right - very convienent. We have been genre writing in Kindergarten for the 3 years I have taught kindergarten (paragraph). Prior to that, I taught prek and tried to get them to write words and sentences. Having them write a paragraph is easier using a graphic organizer and then modeling a BILLION times!! LOL - does your state have any frameworks to work with in creating units? best of luck!

    ~ Kimberlee ~

    Two Fulbright Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never had a reply button. :( I tried to put one on my blog, but never could figure it out! What I am starting to do is when I get a comment in my e-mail inbox, I am replying within that e-mail. As long as they don't have a "no-reply" email address they will be able to get the reply that way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so overwhelmed with Common Core! We have to be able to prove that everything we teach is research based. So, if we're skipping lessons or supplementing too much our normally curriculum can no longer be considered researched based.... ugh! It's been stressful to say the least and each teacher is pretty much on his/her own with aligning everything to Common Core. Thankfully, I've found some good info on blogs, but I'm still overwhelmed and wish we had some kind of conference we could attend.
    One of my co-workers just told me about the Book Whisperer- she loves it! I might attempt it after I finish Daily 5 for the second time.
    Hope my comment wasn't too whiny! haha
    Erin
    First with Franklin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking forward to reading The Book Whisperer, too!
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess I'm going to have to add one more book to my wishlist on Amazon!
    I didn't know that when I reply to a post on my blog that the person I'm replying to doesn't get the response!!! I'm confused by this as well.
    I thought if we added a comment -they wouldn't get it but if we added a reply to their comment then they would get it??
    Diane
    schoolhousetreasures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you receive this reply. I have started clicking on the name and emailing everyone. I noticed you don't have your email set up so I couldn't reply that way.

      April
      Wolfelicious

      Delete