Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Mommy vs. the Teacher



Did having a child change your teaching?  Did it help you become a better teacher?

I had my first child 6 years ago (gosh, I can't believe it has been that long).  I feel it changed my perspective on things and helped shape me into a better teacher.  
Photo of Wolfelicious
Then, this year my oldest son went to kindergarten.  The different experiences so far with having a son have been amazing.  No one ever told me how great it would be to have him at my school with me.  I love being able to see him throughout the day and I love seeing how he reacts to different things.  It is also nerve racking because I know what he is capable of and want him to be amazing all day, every day at school.

I wrote a blog post titled Are You a Parent back in July wondering if being a parent makes you a better teacher.  I don't know if it makes someone a better teacher, but I do think it changes your perspective on things.

For me, I have noticed...

handwriting needs to be taught more (not just in kindergarten, but in first grade too!)

does it really matter that a child can't sit still even if they are learning?

how important behavior and discipline are

how important constancy and routine are

I have always wanted to be a teacher.  It was my dream ever since I was little.  I used to teach my stuffed animals.  I feel after graduating college, getting my master's, getting my reading and ESOL endorsements, and getting National Board Certified, that I am a pretty good teacher.  I am always looking for new ideas and better ways to teach the material.  

However, 
after having a child go to school at the same school I am at has made me into an even better teacher!

This year I have my best class ever!  

I have changed in the way I handle different discipline issues.  I have realized that the color system doesn't always work because the same ones move their color, therefore the child and the parent give up.  I have not moved nearly as many colors as in past years.  Grant it, I have an excellent class, but I feel I have taught my kids my expectations better and I think about how sometimes kids are just trying to be kids.  If only the kids were allowed to be kids, right?!

I feel I have a better understanding and can related to the students more since I have a child about the same age.

Overall, it has been a great experience so far having a child at school with me.  In my experience, I feel that having a child and then especially when they go to school has made me into a better teacher. 



I hope you had a great week!!



Have a Wolfelicious day!

Check out my TPT Store
     Pre-K, Kindergarten, First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, Twelfth, Higher Education, Adult Education, Homeschooler, Staff - TeachersPayTeachers.com

                       
     


No comments:

Post a Comment